The aims of West Yorkshire and Harrogate Cancer Alliance in this area of work are listed below.
This work is undertaken in the context of the NHS Long Term Workforce Plan, published in June 2023.
- To support our partners to make the most effective use of their workforce.
- To help them address workforce-related barriers to the delivery of cancer services.
- To support and encourage workforce innovation and transformation through our local, regional and national relationships and networks.
Our programme of activity includes:
- Leading a North East and Yorkshire collaboration comprising colleagues from the four Cancer Alliances (Northern, West Yorkshire and Harrogate, Humber and North Yorkshire, and South Yorkshire and Bassetlaw); Macmillan Cancer Support; NHS England and hospital Lead Cancer Nurses to share experiences and innovate to support and sustain the cancer nurse specialist (CNS) workforce
- Maximising uptake of education and workforce development funding offers from NHS England and elsewhere, along with resources and initiatives relevant to .the cancer workforce
- Hosting the Macmillan Cancer Nurse Specialist Workforce development programme on behalf of the North East and Yorkshire region. Read more about the programme.
- Facilitating workforce transformation workshops on behalf of the Alliance using evidence based tools such as HEE Star and the Calderdale Framework.
- Establishing a new international pipeline for medical oncologists, in collaboration with the West Yorkshire ICB Global Partnerships team and NHS England. Also piloting a new curriculum for Advanced Clinical Practice in non surgical oncology
- Upskilling care coordinators and social prescribing link workers to help primary care networks improve the provision and quality of cancer care reviews .
- Promoting and sharing the benefits and learning from local workforce-related innovation
- Raising awareness of and helping organisations to implement the Aspirant Cancer Career and Education Framework and facilitating uptake and evaluation of associated workforce and education offers
The Workforce Programme Manager is Rachel Moser.
For all general enquiries or information relating to our Workforce programme please email wyicb-wak.