Support Groups And Organisations
Support Groups and Organisations
- Would you like us to promote your support group and the work you are doing to provide help and support for people affected by cancer at this difficult time? If so, please contact us: email email@example.com
- Mesothelioma Hub
Please note that this organisation/website is based in the USA, therefore not all content - including contact details and information about available treatments - will be applicable to patients in the UK.
Videos Patients Might Find Helpful
NHSX is the team driving forward the digital transformation of health and social care. They've produced a series of videos written by NHS clinicians for patients - some specifically for those affected by cancer. Take a look....
• What is Cancer? (1:54)
• Overview Cancer Treatment (3:13)
• Having Chemotherapy (4:05)
• What to look for during Chemotherapy (3:37)
• Having Radiotherapy (4:11)
Cancer52, the charity for rare and less common cancers, have teamed up with patients and the National Clinical Director for Cancer, Professor Peter Johnson, to encourage people to access the cancer care they need as part of the #HelpUsToHelpYou campaign. View the film here:
Maintaining Health and Wellbeing
- Jackie Buxton, author of Tea and Chemo : Fighting Cancer, Living Life, and Sara Williamson, Chair of Yorkshire Cancer Community, chat with presenter Emma Kirke about the power of creative writing and new life perspectives generated by the coronavirus situation. Listen here
- Macmillan SafeFit Free remote service for anyone in the UK with suspicion of or confirmed diagnosis of cancer. Referral to a cancer exercise specialist who can help during Covid-19.
How To Access Help If You Can't Go Out
If you are self-isolating or are classed as one of the vulnerable who are currently being ‘shielded’ at home and you do not have friends or family nearby, where can you go for help?
The Yorkshire Cancer Community has compiled a list of useful contacts.
Click here to access.
Yorkshire Cancer Community has compiled a list of patient helplines during the COVID-19 outbreak. Click here to access
- Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust, in partnership with Maggie's Yorkshire
A dedicated Cancer Support Helpline has been launched for patients and their carers to contact if they are worried or have questions about COVID-19 following receipt of a letter from Leeds Teaching Hospitals about changes to their appointment or treatment.
The helpline 0800 923 0014 will be open Monday to Friday from 9am - 5pm and will be staffed by Clinical Nurse Specialists from Maggie's, working alongside the Trust's corporate cancer team. The service is available to anyone who is being treated for cancer at Leeds Teaching Hospitals.
Many national cancer charities are providing coronavirus information on their websites, specifically for people affected by cancer. This includes questions and answers developed by the One Cancer Voice charities, in partnership with NHS England. Click here to find a list of links to national and other charity websites.
Community Patient Panel
Our Community/Patient Panel is just one of the ways in which West Yorkshire and Harrogate Cancer Alliance is working with those affected by cancer across our area - patients and their families, carers, service users - to ensure their experiences and views inflence the work that we do and the decisions we take.
Click here to find out how you can get involved in the work of the panel.
Other Helpful Resources During Covid 19
Easy Read Publications
Produced by The Mid Yorkshire Hospitals NHS Trust